The Rising Price of Cholesterol Medication & What it Means for Your Patients

According to CNBC, the number of adult Americans without health insurance has risen to an astounding 11.3 percent. Without insurance, patients are left to pay for their prescriptions at full cost. Harvard Medical School points out that millions of U.S. residents actually skip out on taking their medications because they can’t afford the cost.

A study conducted by Ann Marie Navar, MD, Ph.D.; Benjamin Taylor, Ph.D.; Hillary Mulder, MS was posted on the JAMA Network. Its purpose was to examine cardiology patients who were prescribed PCSK9 inhibitors and whether or not they were able to obtain this medication through insurance.

PCSK9 inhibitors are a relatively new drug treatment for lowering a person’s cholesterol. The drug works to remove the protein proprotein convertase subtilisin kexin 9. Without this protein, the body doesn’t circulate any bad cholesterol throughout the bloodstream. That means a patient benefits from the medication by having a reduced risk of clogged arteries, strokes, and heart attacks.

Researchers studied participants who were prescribed PCSK9 inhibitors for the duration of one year. At the end of that year, it was discovered that only 47.2 percent of the patients actually got their insurance companies to approve the treatment. Of the remaining 52.8 percent, 34.7 percent did not fill their prescriptions. The participants reported that the out-of-pocket expense for obtaining the medication was just too high.

Over one-third of the patients were not being treated for their high cholesterol because of the rising drug costs. Since high cholesterol has no symptoms, it is extremely dangerous. In addition to the above-mentioned risks, individuals can also suffer a blood clot.

Patients who are diagnosed with high cholesterol shouldn’t go untreated. It is important that physicians speak with each individual client about possible alternatives if the prescribed medication is denied. To learn about using a Holter patch to determine a person’s overall heart health call ReactDx at 800-234-3278, or read our News & Updates page.  

At ReactDx, we have been advancing diagnostic cardiology since 1981. ReactDx develops, manufactures, and provides service with the most reliable and sophisticated Holter patch monitoring systems in the world. Since its inception, ReactDx has been at the forefront of the cardiac telemedicine industry – pioneering technology, improving existing technologies and adding new applications.

Jodi is a seasoned Human Resources professional who thrives on change and transformation. She fell in love with Human Resources when she attended Penn State University for graduate school in Public Administration with a curriculum that emphasized Human Resources. After earning her Master’s degree she began her career in the manufacturing industry in Talent Acquisition and was eventually assigned the overall HR Management responsibility of three divisions which included collective bargaining. Ultimately, she made her way to transitioning a new division of a Fortune 100 company under the corporate model as well as developing and executing Human Resources policies and procedures across a broad range of functional disciplines. At the next juncture of her career, she was tapped on the shoulder by former Executives that she previously worked with to join in on an exciting start-up. Today, Jodi is the Vice President of Talent Relations and Development for Medicomp Inc dba ReactDx and is responsible for managing the strategic Human Resources function which includes mergers and acquisitions for this rapidly expanding company.

Jodi and her husband enjoy landscaping, finding new restaurants and traveling whenever life gives them the opportunity.

    *This form is intended for sales inquiries/information only. Do not include any patient health information (PHI) with your submission.

    On: all lights. Off: no light. Monitoring - Good: green light. Symptom press: green light, sound. Check Pendant: blue light. Check Battery: red light, sound.
    Do: wear always, fully insert in cradle, turn off to charge, dry, key near handset, return promptly. Don't: discard pendant, submerge, move patch