When we think of summer, we often associate the season with warm weather, bathing suits, and relaxation. As tempting as it can be to lose your inhibition for healthy dieting, you can still eat well, enjoy a few drinks and still lose weight with just a few summer tips. Watching your weight and what you eat not only helps you shed some extra pounds, but it also leaves you with a healthy heart. Here are a few things that you should keep in mind throughout the summer.
1. Don’t starve yourself. If your goal this summer is to lose weight, avoid missing meals. Not eating can actually slow down your metabolism; when you’re feeling hungry, you can still fill up on healthy snacks that are naturally low in calories and high in fiber, like fruits and vegetables.
2. Exercise. You don’t have to run a marathon to lose weight, but you should become active for at least 30 minutes on most days of the week. Whether you decide to take a brisk walk, or do some simple strength training, exercising can contribute to a healthier heart, which reduces your risk of heart disease.
3. Drink more water. You’ve probably heard this a hundred times, but many people don’t drink enough water. Did you know that symptoms of dehydration imitate those of hunger? We often eat snacks rather than drink water because we mistake thirst for hunger. The goal is to drink 64 ounces of water every day.
4. Eat off of smaller plates. It may sound silly, but in fact, we often go for more food than we actually need. It can trick you into eating as much as 25% less food, and in the end, you probably won’t even miss it.
5. Enjoy a meal outside. You are more likely to be distracted while enjoying the outdoors, which means you will be eating slower. The faster we eat, the easier it is to gulp down more food than we need. Your brain registers feelings of fullness after about 20 minutes, so any distraction could help curve your eating habits and lose weight.
Taking steps to live a healthier life can greatly increase heart health and reduce the risks that may contribute to negative health factors. ReactDx specializes in providing customers with cardiac monitoring systems that make heart monitoring as accurate as possible. Contact us today at 800-23-HEART to find out more about our cardiac event monitoring solutions that will help you live a healthier life.