Heart disease is the number one killer of men in America. The heart is the hardest working muscle in the human body, therefore, taking care of it is important to a long and happy life. However, as entertainment changes to focus on indoor activities and food sources sacrifice health for convenience, it can be hard for some to counter the negative effects that these social changes have on the heart. Doctors always say that the best way to beat heart disease is through a healthy lifestyle, but what exactly does that mean?
Dr. Charles Katzenberg, a UA clinical professor of medicine, offers these prevention tips to ward off heart disease:
- Talk to your doctor. Check with your doctor regularly to find out what your cholesterol and blood pressure say about your heart. Your doctor may prescribe medicine or talk to you about some steps you need to take to regulate your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Balance your weight. Monitor your diet and eat healthy foods to regulate the amount of sugars, salts, and fats you ingest. Extra weight taxes the heart, as it needs to work harder to pump blood through the body.
- Get moving. Take time out of your day to move around and stay active. Exercise is important to reduce blood pressure and train the heart to be stronger. Whether you walk, jog, swim, or bike, cardio exercise will help to significantly improve your heart’s health.
- Stop smoking. Smoking is just as bad for your heart as it is for your lungs. When you smoke, the lining of your arteries become sticky and inflamed, making it easier for them to become clogged. If you arteries become clogged you’re in danger of suffering a heart attack or stroke.
- Lose the stress. Make sure you take time to relax and get plenty of rest. Reducing stress lets the heart rest at a comfortable rate and lowers blood pressure in the process.
- Learn the signs. Become familiar with the signs of a heart attack or stroke, and call 9-1-1 immediately when you see symptoms occur.
To learn more about keeping a healthy heart and cardiac monitoring solutions, visit the ReactDx Inc. website today. If you or someone you know is looking to increase heart health, share this post. Educate your friends and family of the importance of a healthy lifestyle on their heart.