As leaders in cardiac monitoring, ReactDx wants to ensure that your heart is working at its full potential. We have put together 10 Tips For a Healthier Heart in a two-part blog series.
In 10 Tips For a Healthier Heart: Part One, we discussed the importance of getting to know your current health status, targeting your triglycerides, including more nuts in your diet, relieving stress from your life and the benefits of working out with a friend. In part two, we finish our list of tips informing people on how to gain a healthier heart.
- Volunteering: Volunteering reduces isolation and increases social connectivity, which is a stress reducer.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking is a huge factor for heart disease, although stopping is not as simple as it seems. A good incentive to stop smoking is the fact that your health starts to improve minutes after smoking. After one year of non-smoking, your heart disease risk is cut in half, after 10 years, your heart disease risk is the same as someone who has never smoked.
- Drink Alcohol: Women can have up to one glass of alcohol a day, and men can have up to two to help reduce risk of heart disease. However, alcohol has calories, and too much can cause high blood pressure, heart failure, and heart rhythm abnormalities.
- Weight Training: Strength training can reduce your percentage of body fat, keep your weight down and increase muscle mass and endurance. Weight training twice a week improves aerobic capacity and increases HDL cholesterol levels.
- Measure Waist Size: Men with a waist size over 40 and women with a waist size over 35 are at an increased risk for heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Changing up your diet is a great way to help get your waistline smaller.
At ReactDx, we have been advancing diagnostic cardiology since 1981. ReactDx develops, manufactures, and provides service with the most reliable and sophisticated ambulatory heart-monitoring systems in the world. Our mission is not only to help physicians but to also ensure that patients are getting the utmost quality in health care and adding years to their lives. To learn more about other heart related information, cardiac monitoring, and what else ReactDx can offer, browse our blogs or contact us.